Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Guest Appearance by Mark Lewis

Well Hello Everyone,

I guess you can call this a guest contribution to the Worland’s blog... Jessica and the entire team have been so busy that she asked me if I would be willing to share a few thoughts and experiences from my perspective about the missions team. Be forewarned this is my first attempt at blogging and I’m not a very gifted writer so this is bound to be a little rough.

Let me start out by saying that it has been my pleasure serving with Jessica and everyone on the missions team. It has been my first experience with missions and it has been amazing to see how the power of God works, as vineyard would say, in a naturally supernatural way. For those of you who don’t know me or who I am, I have been acting as a liaison for the team. A communicational hub between India and KY. When I first accepted this part of the mission team it was slightly out of disappointment because I really felt that God was calling me to be a part of the team in India. What I didn’t understand at the time was staying back is an important facet of missions. God has revealed to me how this role has taken some pressure off Jessica’s shoulders, has made the distances seem less vast and less lonesome for the team.

Not only do I feel like this has been a benefit to the mission team, and kept the church more involved, but this has served as a huge affirmation to me that God wants me to be headed towards missions in the future. In fact, it wasn’t too long ago that I would have told you global missions “isn’t my thing” and now I can’t wait for the day when its my turn to sail across the pond. It has been amazing to me to witness the miracles and even to be a part of some of them from such a physical distance.

When Jessica first started relaying pictures and videos back to me with all the things they were accomplishing in India, I was amazed at how God’s hand was touching so many lives through all of our actions. I have never before been aware of the true power of God and I know that I'm only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

One of the most moving experiences that I have been a part of was when Jessica told me about Annie's mother struggling with cancer. She was in Madurai to schedule a surgery with an oncologist. Annie's cousin, also a doctor, looked over the medical charts and her expectations were very grim. Family was stopping by to say their goodbyes and Annie was trying to arrange for her brother to make a visit from Chicago. When I heard this, I felt that God was impressing upon my heart to pray with this family and for this woman. I have never before felt this impressing need for prayer for anyone, much less someone that I have never met before who lives in a completely different country. Nonetheless, I had Jessica drag her computer in front of this lady at 10pm India time and we said a short prayer together. Jessica told me that the Annie and her mother were extremely touched by the gesture and were so grateful that we cared enough to pray for them. The next day Jessica gave me the update after the DR's appointment. The oncologist called it a miracle. Her chemo was much more effective than they thought. Surgery is no longer needed and they gave a 99% chance that the cancer can be treated with medicine! This may not seem like anything to many people over here, as we have all grown accustomed to DR's getting things wrong and the “miracle of modern medicines” but I really feel that this is a God thing and I am blessed to have God use me as he would from such a distance.

I am so blessed to be as much of this mission as I am, and only hope that God will be able to use me in the future like he has with this trip.

Blessings and Prayers to All and May God’s Hand Continue to Touch Our Team
Mark Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment