Friday, June 17, 2011

The Mangoes were in season

It takes a long time to get to India from Lexington. I think I hold up to travelling okay. Unlike Jessica, who can fall asleep in a car ride to the grocery store, I can't fall asleep easily on planes. I also wasn't ready for the heat of a real Indian summer (not to be confused with the colloquial term associated with above average temperatures in the autumn).

The long travel, the lack of sleep, and the heat all conspired to steal my appetite for a couple of days. I ate just enough to keep myself going and Annie was gracious enough to serve some very simple and bland foods. I also drank what amounts to a small lake of water.

Then something happened on the third morning in India. I woke up actually feeling a little hungry. Jessica and I were greeted by a plate of delicious mangoes.


This was my favorite part of breakfast for almost the entire trip. Between all the Samuels', Jessica, and me, we polished off a plate like this almost every morning. While I never got my full appetite back, the breakfast that morning was the start of really enjoying the food and the cooking.

We even tried to eat in the same fashion - without utensils. We used our hands. And you know what? It actually felt pretty normal. I wasn't very good at it, I was only slightly less messy than Amy, who is 18 months old. But it made sense and it worked to eat like that while I was there.

I've already forgotten most of the names of many things we ate, but I think I'll be able to recognize it when I see it. I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to find authentic southern India cooking here in Lexington.

Here's Amy, who proved that children are just as adorable and mischievious no matter where they live.

No comments:

Post a Comment