Thursday, June 23, 2011

From My Perspective

Trying to answer the question "How was India?" is difficult. Even when presented with more specific questions like "Did you enjoy yourself?" or "What was the most surprising part of India?", I'm still at a loss in how to explain. There is so much to say (and process) that only small bits and pieces of a narrative seep out.

I will say that the experience itself was incredible, amazing, and surprising.
I've tried describing it in this way:
Before going I had the feeling I knew at least a little bit about India. I've heard stories from Jessica and her dad, I've read about it, I've seen pictures and other media. During my experience I realized that none of that was ever really disproven or false. However, experiencing (the very localized) part of India with all of the senses, all at once, and without the lens of someone else's view, I was completely struck by the overwhelming...otherness...of India. That's not quite right though. It wasn't overwhelming in that I couldn't handle it and shut down due to so much sensory input. And I don't use the term "otherness" to imply any sort of negative or derogatory meaning.

Perhaps this is a better explanation:
Have you ever been to an ocean? Do you remember your first time seeing the ocean and then swimming in it? Think about the entire experience and then think about what it would be like to explain that to someone who has only seen pictures of an ocean.

I've never experienced anything like India before and I'm not going to be able to explain it or my experience in one grand narrative. At least, not anytime soon. Until then, I hope pictures and stories of my trip to India help to create or inform your own perspective.


1 comment:

  1. I couldn't have said it any better myself!! Thanks for keeping up the blog. Love the pictures, your perspective and you!!!!! XOXO Jessica

    ReplyDelete